The beach with the buildings behind

Bal Harbour Police Department Announces Agency Promotions and Badge Pinning Ceremony

Bal Harbour, FL (June 7, 2023) ­– On Wednesday, June 14, the Bal Harbour Police Department (BHPD) will host a Promotion and Badge Pinning Ceremony. The ceremony will begin at 6 p.m. at the Sea View Hotel (9909 Collins Avenue, Bal Harbour, FL 33154). Following the ceremony, attendees are invited to a light reception with members of the BHPD.

The ceremony is the first formal ceremony to take place since the COVID-19 pandemic began, which caused everyone to change how they gathered and celebrated. “We have overcome a great deal in the last few years; as an agency and a community. We are excited to have the opportunity to gather and celebrate our officers,” says Chief Raleigh Flowers.

The ceremony will recognize the promotions of Officer Erica Blanco and Officer David Navas to Sergeant. Officers who have joined the agency since the pandemic began will also be formally recognized with a badge pinning ceremony. Officers to be recognized include Officer Lydia Armstrong, Officer Denise Bremer, Officer Shevin Castro, Officer Larry Faison, Officer Jomarie Morejon, Officer Dewayne Williams, Reserve Officer Tarie Holley, and Police Dispatcher Tyra Courtney.

Sergeant Blanco is the first Hispanic female sergeant, and Officer Lydia Armstrong is the first Black female officer in the 76-year history of the Bal Harbour Police Department. “As the first Black Chief of the BHPD, I am proud to say that our community is a welcoming and inclusive place for all,” says Chief Flowers. “Sergeant Blanco and Officer Armstrong are the embodiment of our agency’s values, and we are proud to celebrate this moment.”

While other agencies have struggled to maintain staffing levels, the Bal Harbour Police Department has remained steady and seen growth alongside the community. Village Manager Jorge Gonzalez recognizes the importance of an experienced Police Department. “Our Department prides itself in its community policing model. Despite nationwide recruiting challenges, our PD has remained fully staffed with the highest-quality officers,” says Manager Gonzalez.

Bal Harbour Mayor Jeffrey Freimark says “For us, it is not just about having a fully-staffed Police Department. Chief Flowers and our agency prides itself in recruiting and training the finest officers for our community.” It is evident that as an award-winning agency, the Bal Harbour Police Department is living up to this standard. “I believe I speak for all our residents when I say how grateful we are for our outstanding Police Department,” says Mayor Freimark.

The public is invited to observe and celebrate this important moment with the Village Council, Chief Flowers, the police officers, and the officers’ families. Guests may RSVP to Lana Desravines by calling 305.866.4633. Members of the local media are welcome to attend.

Media Contact:
Kathy A. Fernandez
Director of Communications & Public Engagement
[email protected] | 305.993.7351